Sunday, June 28, 2009

Terrace house in HDB flat

Financial planner Sivakumar Arumugam tells Debbie Yong how an outdoor garden and country-style decor make his first-floor HDB flat feel more like a terrace house.

Sivakumar Arumugam, 37
Financial planner
Lives in a 148 sq m HDB executive maisonette in Bishan
Lives with his wife Raji, 36, a customer service manager

I love my home because...
It is very accessible. I also love my neighbourhood and the sunny garden we have created outside our main door as our unit is on the first floor.

My decor theme is...
Country. My wife and I lead hectic working lives and the moment we walk through the front door, we feel we've left the world of modern living behind, and that relaxes us. My friends always tell me they feel like they are in Australia or Europe when they visit our home.

My favourite corner is...
The dining room because it is so calming and relaxing. It is where we spend much of our time. We like to sip coffee and read the newspapers there, especially on Sunday mornings.

I am most proud of...
The decor. We have been approached several times to have our home featured in home decor magazines. Passers-by always comment that our home is more like a terrace house. We have travelled all through the United States, Europe and Australia and the antique clocks, vases and lamps displayed all over our house are the souvenirs we have accumulated over the past nine years.

Will I sell it?
No, I won't sell it unless an irresistible offer comes along.


Source: Sunday Times, 28 June 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment