Wednesday, February 3, 2010

No family, single and unable to buy public flat

MY PARENTS divorced when I was an infant and I do not have siblings. I am single.

Five years ago, I wrote to the HDB to ask if I could buy a flat at age 30. The Housing Board took my request into consideration and exercised some flexibility by allowing me to purchase a HDB resale three-room flat. However, I did not qualify for the HDB housing loan and housing grant.

I did not proceed with the purchase at that time because of the unattractive conditions. Now, I am 36 years old and want to buy a flat under the singles scheme. But I do not qualify for the housing loan and housing grant because my income exceeds $3,000.

HDB rejected my loan appeal because of my salary, ignoring my family circumstances. Yet, five years ago, it took the same circumstances into consideration in allowing me to buy a flat.

HDB staff advised me to get a bank loan, but I cannot fork out the huge amount of cash upfront. The bank will loan me an amount equivalent to only two times my monthly salary.

I feel that the HDB should increase the income ceiling. Five to 10 years ago, a three- or four-room HDB resale flat was priced from $150,000 to $250,000, but now the price has increased to $280,000 to $350,000. In addition, there is the $20,000 to $40,000 cash upfront.

Singles like me appear to be the hardest hit. Couples still have the alternative to buy new flats. Where can singles like me go to for help?

Toh Siew Peng (Miss)

Source: Straits Times, 3 Feb 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment